Fallsmead@50 Fun Facts
Posted on March 31, 2018 11:08 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Original Fallsmead HOA dues in 1968 were $6 per month. Dues increased to $9 per month (or $108 per year) in July 1969 when the pool opened.
Posted on March 21, 2018 10:38 AM by Melani Miller Harig
On March 23, 1968, the Kettler Brothers advertised new homes for sale in Fallsmead in the Washington Post. According to the ad, Fallsmead was a family community, the "kind of place that shapes a child's future, determines a wife's attitude toward life, and reflects the achievements of a man's career." Fallsmead was, according to Kettler, the "newest now place by Kettler Brothers."
Source: 1968 Kettler Washington Post Advertisement from the Fallsmead History Page.
Posted on March 14, 2018 1:42 PM by Melani Miller Harig
In a blast from the not-so-distant past. . .March of 2013 was a busy month in Fallsmead: construction on the brand new playground was completed, and our revamped website at fallsmead.org was launched (no, that really wasn’t a shameless website plug!). 
Photo Captions: Out with the old, and in with the new. The old playground in June 2012, construction of the new playground in February 2013, the completed playground in March 2013, and the playground this month (someone really should have told the tree that it was too big for the baby swings). Photos from the Fallsmead.org Photo Album page.
Posted on March 7, 2018 11:15 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Construction of Fallsmead began in 1967 near Falls Road and Fallsmead Way. Building progressed up Fallsmead Way toward what is now Wootton Parkway, and then swung around to the Greenplace Terrace side. The last houses in the original section of Fallsmead were completed in 1973. The new section of Fallsmead (Pipestem Court and lower Pipestem Place beyond the pond entrance) was built in 1982-1983.
Construction of 1407 Fallsmead Way with the Ewing barn in the background in probably early 1970. Photo Courtesy of Jim Morgan from the Fallsmead History Photo Album
Construction of 5 Old Creek Court and other houses on Old Creek Court in November 1971. Photos Courtesy of Jim Marrinan from the Fallsmead History Photo Album. 
Posted on February 28, 2018 1:31 PM by Melani Miller Harig

Fallsmead’s 25th Anniversary Dinner Dance was held on Saturday, February 26, 1994, at Lakewood Country Club. Dinner included salad, bread sticks, stuffed chicken breast or London broil, julienne vegetables, oven roasted bliss potato, and chocolate crepe. Music for dancing was provided by Airplay.


Photo Caption: Pages from the 25th Anniversary Dinner Dance program from the Fallsmead History Page.

Posted on February 21, 2018 10:41 AM by Melani Miller Harig
The Fallsmead Citizens Association (FCA) was formed on February 19, 1975 to engage in any political or legal activities that might jeopardize the assets or tax-exempt status of the non-political Fallsmead Homes Corporation.
While it was active, the FCA represented Fallsmead citizens on matters such as transportation (e.g., building of the I-270 Falls Road interchange), local development (e.g., building of the Fallsbend neighborhood and opposing a plan for a high-rise next to the Rockshire shopping center), and community matters (e.g., neighborhood stop signs, negotiating with Berger-Berman for expansion of Fallsmead, and negotiating volume discounts for smoke detectors).
Photo Caption: Agenda from the Fallsmead Citizens Association First Annual Meeting on March 20, 1975.
Posted on February 14, 2018 9:18 AM by Melani Miller Harig
When Kettler first began marketing Fallsmead in the late 1960s, their list of neighborhood amenities from their marketing brochure included a "special skiing-sledding hill," a "mini-mountain," and a pond "for summer fishing and winter skating" (horrors!). 
Source: Kettler Fallsmead Brochure from the late 1960s (I love the boat going under the island bridge!) from the Fallsmead History Page
Posted on February 7, 2018 10:41 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Since the City didn't like any of their street names, Kettler asked Mrs. Betts (whose family sold the Fallsmead property to Kettler) for other suggestions. She suggested Duncan Branch (after the Duncans, who used to own the Warwick Montgomery house at 16 Pipestem Court), Pipestem (because she thought the lane then leading back to the pipe-bowl shaped Ewing Farm looked like a pipestem), Trail House (after the Trail family, who owned Fallsmead property in the 19th and 20th centuries), and James Spring. 
Posted on January 31, 2018 4:05 PM by Melani Miller Harig
While Kettler was successful in giving the neighborhood its name, it didn't have as much luck with street names. Although Kettler initially proposed more than 30 street names to the Rockville Planning Commission - including Cimarron, Lumpkin, Mellow Wood, Nordstrom, Shagwood, and Watterworth - not a single one was actually used.
Posted on January 24, 2018 11:25 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Until the early 1980s, Pipestem Court and lower Pipestem Place beyond the pond entrance (which were built in the mid-1980s) were part of the 10-acre Ewing Farm. Early Fallsmead residents remember seeing the Ewing cows and horses grazing in the farm's fields. According to early residents, occasionally the cows and horses would escape from the farm and wander around the neighborhood or stare in people's windows.
The Ewing Barn in 1972. It was located behind the Etelson's house (1409 Fallsmead Way), where the Lurye's house is now (1075 Pipestem Place).  Photo from Fallsmead 25th Anniversary Book.
Posted on January 17, 2018 8:58 AM by Melani Miller Harig
In 1929, Bethesda dairy farm owner Warwick Montgomery purchased a 101-acre parcel of land just off Falls Road. On it, he built a summer home which still stands today at 16 Pipestem Court. It is the oldest standing structure in Fallsmead. 
Old Warwick Montgomery house at 16 Pipestem Court in the early 1980s (then owned by the Ewing family). Photo Courtesy of Jim Marrinan from the Fallsmead History Photo Album
Posted on January 4, 2018 9:48 PM by Melani Miller Harig
Kettler Brothers, the developer of Fallsmead, chose the name Fallsmead in the late 1960s because of the neighborhood's location in a meadow near Falls Road. Fallsmead is a combination of "Falls Road" and "Meadow." 
Fallsmead before there was a Fallsmead. Photo taken in June 1953, 15 years before the first Fallsmead residents moved in and long before construction started. Photo from Fallsmead 25th Anniversary Book.
« previous 1 2 3 next »
We hope that you enjoyed reading these Fallsmead@50 Weekly Fun Facts about Fallsmead's history and important events in Fallsmead's past as much as we enjoyed writing them! Although they ended at the conclusion of our 50th anniversary year in 2018, you can continue to access them here. They are still open for comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts and memories!