Home
About Us
Amenities
Contact Us
 
Board of Directors
Calendar
Committees
Documents & Forms
Fallsmead Forum
Fallsmead History
Fallsmead Sharks
FAQ & Resident's Info
Find a Sitter or House Helper
Helpful Links
Neighborhood Assistance
Neighborhood Directory
Online Payments
Photo Album
Pool
Recipe Book
Tennis/Racket Sports
Volunteers
 

 

Fallsmead@50
Posted on June 13, 2018 2:21 PM by Melani Miller Harig
The first and second residents who moved into Fallsmead in April and May 1968 finally got some new neighbors when the 3rd and 4th residents (the Mulhollands at 1102 Cedrus Way and the Coves at 1114 Fallsmead Way, respectively) moved in on June 13 and 14, 1968. By July 1st, around a dozen houses on the 1100 block of Fallsmead Way and Cedrus Way were occupied by new owners.
 
 
Foundation of 1130 Pipestem Place with Scott Drive (now Wootton Parkway) and unpaved Fallsmead Way in the background in April 1971. Photo Courtesy of Terry Martin from the Fallmead History Photo Album.
Posted on June 6, 2018 1:28 PM by Melani Miller Harig
The major pool renovation that took place during the first half of 2001 officially ended with the reopening of the pool on June 9, 2001. During the renovation, the pool was expanded with the addition of the beach entrance, the pool house was partially demolished and fully renovated, the covered area next to the pool was built, and the fountains were added.
 
 
 
 
 
Photos Courtesy of Terry Martin and Alan Frankle from the Pool Renovation 2001 photo album. Source: March and July 2001 Fallsmead Forums.
 
Posted on May 30, 2018 12:31 PM by Melani Miller Harig
Fallsmead was host to a City of Rockville walking town hall meeting on May 30, 1998. Rockville's mayor, city council members, and key staff members (including the city manager and directors from all of the major departments) joined Fallsmead residents on a walk around Fallsmead streets and ended with a Q&A session at the pool. Major topics of discussion included neighborhood traffic issues (with a focus on the speeding problem on Greenplace Terrace), streambank erosion in Fallsmead Park, the Seven Locks jail, and pin oak tree disease.
 
 
Posted on May 23, 2018 10:06 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Fallsmead Park was the home to a major pond renovation (as well as a major pool renovation) for the first half of 2001. During the renovation, the pond was drained, more than 1300 cubic yards of sediment/muck was dredged and removed (requiring 225 trips to the dump site), a new riser and outlet pipe were installed, new aquatic vegetation was planted along the banks, and the paths around the pond were paved and restored.
 
 
 
 
Photos (and Tidbit title) Courtesy of Alan Frankle from the Pond Renovation 2001 photo album. Source: January, March, and May 2001 Fallsmead Forums.
Posted on May 16, 2018 12:25 PM by Melani Miller Harig
The very first Pool Rules that came out when the pool opened in 1969 required all women, as well as men with hair longer than 5 inches, to wear bathing caps in the pool. Everyone was also required to take a soap shower before using the pool. If you left the pool area or used the toilet facilities, you had to take a second shower before you could go back in the pool.
 
 
The Fallsmead pool in July 1969 right after the pool first opened. The picture was taken from the top of the old high dive. Photo from the Fallsmead 25th Anniversary Book. View the full 1969 Pool Rules on the Fallsmead History Page
Posted on May 9, 2018 9:23 AM by Melani Miller Harig
In Fallsmead in February 1968, you could get any house you wanted for under $45,000! House prices then ranged from $38,950 for an Edgehill to $44,350 for an Olney (if you wanted, AC that would cost you an extra $1,000). By August 1972, houses ranged from $56,650-$63,500 (not counting the extras like patios, fireplaces, and central vacuum cleaning systems). These days, houses are listing in the $700,000s and $800,000s. 
 
  
 
 
 
Source: Kettler Fallsmead Price Lists from the Fallsmead History Page.
Posted on May 2, 2018 10:53 AM by Melani Miller Harig
A Tour of Fallsmead Homes was held by the Fallsmead Garden Club on May 3, 1992, to showcase renovations and updates that were made to the five houses on the tour. (Click on the image to take the virtual tour yourself!)
 
 
Posted on April 25, 2018 11:37 AM by Melani Miller Harig
After selling the first 14 houses in Fallsmead II in 1983, the developer ran into financial troubles. The remaining 12 houses sat vacant until early 1986, when they were finally sold. By April 1986, all 12 properties (including the Ewing farmhouse) had either already closed or were about to. This brought the number of homes in Fallsmead up from 265 to 291, which is the number of homes in Fallsmead today.
 
 
The new houses on Pipestem Place in Spring of 1984, with Scott, Todd, and Devin Bradley, and Eric Tamarkin. Photo from Fallsmead 25th Anniversary Book.
Posted on April 18, 2018 10:39 AM by Melani Miller Harig
In early 1981, the Ewing family sold their 10-acre farm, which was located in the center of Fallsmead, to developers Berger-Berman. By the end of 1982, 25 new homes (in addition to the existing Ewing farmhouse) were built on that property. All 26 were incorporated into Fallsmead. The first of the "Fallsmead II" homes was sold in April 1983. By the end of 1983, 14 of the 26 Fallsmead II homes had been sold and had become part of Fallsmead.
 
 
A view of Lower Pipestem and the Ewing Barn from the pond in the early 1970s. Photo Courtesy of Jim Morgan from the Fallsmead History Photo Album
 
Posted on April 11, 2018 2:01 PM by Melani Miller Harig
The very first Fallsmead residents, the Lassman family, moved into their brand new home at 1115 Fallsmead Way in April 1968. They were here all by themselves (if you don't count the construction workers) for about a month until the Taylor family moved into 1107 Cedrus Way in May 1968.
 
 
Construction of 1213 Fallsmead Way in 1968 (which is the closest picture I have to the first set of houses that was completed in the 1100 block of Falsmead Way/Cedrus Way in the first half of 1968). Photo Courtesy of Nancy Bauman Moore from the Fallsmead History Photo Album.
 
Posted on April 4, 2018 10:48 AM by Melani Miller Harig
The very first edition of the Fallsmead Forum was published in April 1969. Among other things, it notified residents that the brand new pool would be open and available to residents by July 1, 1969, and that HOA fees would be going up to $9 per month once the pool was open. 
 
 
Posted on March 31, 2018 11:08 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Original Fallsmead HOA dues in 1968 were $6 per month. Dues increased to $9 per month (or $108 per year) in July 1969 when the pool opened.
 
 
Posted on March 21, 2018 10:38 AM by Melani Miller Harig
On March 23, 1968, the Kettler Brothers advertised new homes for sale in Fallsmead in the Washington Post. According to the ad, Fallsmead was a family community, the "kind of place that shapes a child's future, determines a wife's attitude toward life, and reflects the achievements of a man's career." Fallsmead was, according to Kettler, the "newest now place by Kettler Brothers."
 
 
Source: 1968 Kettler Washington Post Advertisement from the Fallsmead History Page.
Posted on March 14, 2018 1:42 PM by Melani Miller Harig
In a blast from the not-so-distant past. . .March of 2013 was a busy month in Fallsmead: construction on the brand new playground was completed, and our revamped website at fallsmead.org was launched (no, that really wasn’t a shameless website plug!). 
 
 
 
 
 
Photo Captions: Out with the old, and in with the new. The old playground in June 2012, construction of the new playground in February 2013, the completed playground in March 2013, and the playground this month (someone really should have told the tree that it was too big for the baby swings). Photos from the Fallsmead.org Photo Album page.
 
Posted on March 7, 2018 11:15 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Construction of Fallsmead began in 1967 near Falls Road and Fallsmead Way. Building progressed up Fallsmead Way toward what is now Wootton Parkway, and then swung around to the Greenplace Terrace side. The last houses in the original section of Fallsmead were completed in 1973. The new section of Fallsmead (Pipestem Court and lower Pipestem Place beyond the pond entrance) was built in 1982-1983.
 
 
Construction of 1407 Fallsmead Way with the Ewing barn in the background in probably early 1970. Photo Courtesy of Jim Morgan from the Fallsmead History Photo Album
 
 
Construction of 5 Old Creek Court and other houses on Old Creek Court in November 1971. Photos Courtesy of Jim Marrinan from the Fallsmead History Photo Album. 
Posted on February 28, 2018 1:31 PM by Melani Miller Harig

Fallsmead’s 25th Anniversary Dinner Dance was held on Saturday, February 26, 1994, at Lakewood Country Club. Dinner included salad, bread sticks, stuffed chicken breast or London broil, julienne vegetables, oven roasted bliss potato, and chocolate crepe. Music for dancing was provided by Airplay.

 

Photo Caption: Pages from the 25th Anniversary Dinner Dance program from the Fallsmead History Page.

Posted on February 21, 2018 10:41 AM by Melani Miller Harig
The Fallsmead Citizens Association (FCA) was formed on February 19, 1975 to engage in any political or legal activities that might jeopardize the assets or tax-exempt status of the non-political Fallsmead Homes Corporation.
 
While it was active, the FCA represented Fallsmead citizens on matters such as transportation (e.g., building of the I-270 Falls Road interchange), local development (e.g., building of the Fallsbend neighborhood and opposing a plan for a high-rise next to the Rockshire shopping center), and community matters (e.g., neighborhood stop signs, negotiating with Berger-Berman for expansion of Fallsmead, and negotiating volume discounts for smoke detectors).
 
 
Photo Caption: Agenda from the Fallsmead Citizens Association First Annual Meeting on March 20, 1975.
 
Posted on February 14, 2018 9:18 AM by Melani Miller Harig
When Kettler first began marketing Fallsmead in the late 1960s, their list of neighborhood amenities from their marketing brochure included a "special skiing-sledding hill," a "mini-mountain," and a pond "for summer fishing and winter skating" (horrors!). 
 
 
Source: Kettler Fallsmead Brochure from the late 1960s (I love the boat going under the island bridge!) from the Fallsmead History Page
Posted on February 7, 2018 10:41 AM by Melani Miller Harig
Since the City didn't like any of their street names, Kettler asked Mrs. Betts (whose family sold the Fallsmead property to Kettler) for other suggestions. She suggested Duncan Branch (after the Duncans, who used to own the Warwick Montgomery house at 16 Pipestem Court), Pipestem (because she thought the lane then leading back to the pipe-bowl shaped Ewing Farm looked like a pipestem), Trail House (after the Trail family, who owned Fallsmead property in the 19th and 20th centuries), and James Spring. 
 
 
Posted on January 31, 2018 4:05 PM by Melani Miller Harig
While Kettler was successful in giving the neighborhood its name, it didn't have as much luck with street names. Although Kettler initially proposed more than 30 street names to the Rockville Planning Commission - including Cimarron, Lumpkin, Mellow Wood, Nordstrom, Shagwood, and Watterworth - not a single one was actually used.
 
« previous 1 2 next »
This year is Fallsmead's 50th Anniversary! As part of our celebration, we are sharing weekly tidbits about Fallsmead's history and important events in Fallsmead's past here, on Facebook, and on the neighborhood email list. This "Fallsmead@50" campaign will  be ongoing throughout the entire 2018 50th anniversary year.
 
Do you have memories that you would like to share? Please feel free to add your thoughts and memories throughout the year on our Facebook page, or contact us at communications@fallsmead.org or at mckennt3@comcast.net
 
 
 
Categories
Archives